Prevalence of stress, anxiety and depression are rising in this fast paced modern world. In the recent years, modern science strikingly confirms that meditation, if regularly practiced offers profound and lasting benefits. A fact of life is that, mind and body are deeply connected to each other. The way we think and perceive things influences the overall health of a human body. Negative thinking or too much of stress in mind can destroy your health and it works vice-versa. That’s the power of mind and it rules the body. Hence, it is very important to keep your mind relaxed, calm and stress free. Meditation helps us to keep our self relaxed and stay focused. Practicing meditation means enhanced awareness and self mastery. Start with 10-15 minutes and then eventually increase to 45-60 minutes.
Tips to Get Started With Meditation for Beginners
- Choose a convenient time, but the best time to meditate is early in the morning.
- Select a quiet place which makes mediation more relaxing and beneficial.
- Take a few deep breaths before the start of a meditation session.
- Meditate relatively on an empty stomach to avoid dozing offs.
- Sit in a comfortable, relaxed and steady posture.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
Posture & Technique
- Sit with crossed legs and hands resting on your laps,
- Erect your spine,
- Relax your shoulders, face and keep your eyes closed,
The first technique to be followed by beginners is focusing on breathing. Concentrate on your inhalations and exhalations. Just focus on every breath, do not worry about analyzing it. Feeling the sounds of every breath is important, ignore the worry to explain the experience. There are chances of losing focus, do not panic, try to focus back on your breathing. Don’t push yourself too hard, go slow as you practice every day and lengthen your sessions, concentration level will increase slowly.
Benefits of Meditation
Practicing meditation regularly will help you to slow down your breath, calm your mind and discover peace. Nowadays meditation is used to treat mental health problems, bad addictions and stress related disorders. Mediation has plenty of mental, emotional, and physical benefits . Here are some –
- Improves learning ability.
- Helps to be positive and patient in life.
- Focus and concentration levels are improved.
- Relaxes your mind and helps to know yourself better.
- Improves the memory functions and adds extra time to your day.
- Controls your temper.
- Helps to accept yourself and purify your character.
- Increases energy levels and boosts your social life.
- Emotional stability increases, relieves stress and gives peace of mind.
- Makes you more responsible and help in taking right decisions in critical situations.
- Improves brain-wave coherence.
- Helps in reducing any kind of stress related pain in the body.
- Strengthens your immunity system and helps fight diseases.
- Keeps the blood pressure levels, heart rate and anxiety attacks under control .
- Increases flow of oxygen in the blood and helps to remove toxins from the body.
Lastly, meditation can be effectively practiced, the more the practice, the better are the results, for having a healthy lifestyle practicing meditation along with physical exercise will keep you fit mentally as well as physically.